The Post Medieval Period at Mellor
Around 1547 to Present
The earliest plan of Mellor of 1589, shows the Church and a few houses, one of which is probably the Church Inn (in existence since at least 1530, standing next to the Church. The archaeological record of this period is of pottery sherds of locally made platters, drinking vessels
and clay pipes
. Records tell us that at least one innkeeper was a wealthy man, lending money to his neighbours and enjoying higher quality pottery.
We know that it was later bought
by the Reverend Ollershaw, who was the perpetual curate of Mellor within the large parish of Glossop, in 1782 and he was followed by his son-in-law and grandson. We continue to find local pottery sherds from this period, for domestic and dairy use but the clay pipes from the Inn dissappear and are replaced by the finer pottery and China of a comfortable residence. In 1906, the widow held the deeds and the Church had to find a new Vicarage.
For many years, the farmers of Mellor had added to their income by hand spinning and weaving, but the area changed dramatically at the end of the 18th century when some of the first Textile Mills
of the Industrial Revolution
exploited the water power of the two valleys.
By 1825, there were a dozen Mills in Mellor
, and many millworkers cottages had been built. The growth in population led to an enlargement of the Church, where galleries were built on three sides to accomodate the expanding congregation.
Many small and isolated finds
give us a little window into this rapidly changing period when we turn up items like a lost Elizabethan Shilling and a 17th Century Horse Brass.