The Mills of Mellor
Until the middle of the 18th Century Spinning and Weaving were domestic industries carried out in the home in the Mellor area. In the 1760s however, the situation changed dramatically with the coming of industrialisation. The power of fast flowing water, harnessed in both flowing in and flowing out, freely available in the local river valleys, proved immensley successful. By the 1780s the population of the Parish had risen to a peak of 3,000, with 70% of those working in textiles.
Holly Head Bleach Works
Started life as Cotton Mill in the 1790S but like many others was transformed into Bleachworks during the 1830s
Holly Vale Mills
Built around 1790 it was enlarged in 1850 enlarged and employed over 150 people. The site included Mill Owners Houses, Workers Cottages and a Sunday School. It ceased working in the early 1900s and was derelict by 1930s.